This file is about imagination, ideals and dreams as aspirations.
Also see Wishing and Hoping and Dream Song Titles.
For dreams in the physical sense see Sleeping and Waking.
- As Big As I Can Dream
- Beautiful Dreamer
- The Building of Dreams
- Carpe diem (Seize the Day)
- Chase a Rainbow, Follow Your Dreams
- Dare to Dream
- Daydreams are Wishcraft
- Dream Big
- Dream Catcher
- Dreams Come True
- A Dreamy day
- Follow That Dream
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road
- Follow Your Heart
- I Believe in Miracles
- Imagination Gives You Wings
- Keeping the Dream Alive
- Leap of Faith
- Life--Put Your Heart in It!
- May All Your Dreams Come True
- Reach for the Stars
- Reach High and Touch the Stars
- Seize the Day
- Some Dreams Come True
- To Imagine is Everything
- Visions and Revisions
- We Believe in Miracles
- Where There's a Will, There's a Way
- With God All Things are Possible
- The aim of wisdom is to dream high enough to lose the dream in the seeking of it. (William Faulkner)
- All men of action are dreamers. (James G. Huneker)
- All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers. (Orison Swett Marden)
- All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.(Edgar Allen Poe)
- The best way to make a dream come true is to wake up.
- Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. (Æsop)
- By small and simple means, great things come to pass.
- Chasing a seemingly unattainable dream is better than chasing no dream at all.
- Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate accomplishments. (Napoleon Hill)
- Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so. (Belva Davis)
- Don't dream your life, live your dreams.
- Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. (James Dean)
- A dream is a key to a locked door.
- Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what you want to be; you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.
- Dreams are illustrations...from the book your soul is writing about you. (Marsha Norman)
- Dreams are necessary to life. (Anais Nin)
- Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities and new beauty waiting to be born. (Dr. Dale Turner)
- Dreams can come true if you take the time to think about what you want in life.
- Dreams come a size too big so you can grow into them.
- Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them. (John Updike)
- Dreams, ideas, and plans not only are an escape, they give me purpose, a reason to hang on. (Steven Callahan)
- Every cloud has a silver lining, but it is sometimes difficult to get it to the mint. (Don Marquis)
- Everyday is another chance to make your dreams come true.
- Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
- Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead. (Louisa May Alcott)
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined. (Henry David Thoreau)
- A good reason to have dreams is that in dreams, you don't have to have reasons.
- Having a dream that you don't pursue, is like buying an ice cream cone and watching it melt all over your hand!
- Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly. (Langston Hughes)
- Hope is a waking dream. (Aristotle)
- Hope is not a dream but a way of making dreams become reality. (L. J. Suenens)
- Hopes and dreams and the possibilities of it all.
- I am alone but my dreams are not.
- I have had dreams, and I have had nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams. (Jonas Salk)
- I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. (W. B. Yeats)
- I tell people I'm too stupid to know what's impossible. I have ridiculously large dreams, and half the time they come true. (Debi Thomas)
- An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. (H.L. Mencken)
- Ideals are like the stars: we never reach them, but like the mariners of the sea, we chart our course by them. (Carl Schurz)
- Ideals are thoughts. So long as they exist merely as thoughts, the power in them remains ineffective. (Albert Schweitzer)
- The ideals which have always shown before me and filled me with the joy of living are goodness, beauty and truth. (Albert Einstein)
- If all you can see is your shadow, you're blocking your own light.
- If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
- If one advances confidently in the directions of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. (Henry David Thoreau)
- If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. (Flavia Weedn inFlavia and the Dream Maker)
- If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. (Goethe)
- If you can imagine it you can create it. If you can dream it, you can become it. (William Arthur Ward)
- If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. (Henry David Thoreau)
- Imagination is like a magic carpet--it can take you anywhere.
- Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan)
- In order to make your dreams come true, you must awaken and take charge. (Natasha Newsome)
- In your heart, keep one still, secret spot where dreams may go and sheltered so may thrive and grow. (Louise Driscoll)
- It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. (Robert H. Goddard)
- It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. (Erma Bombeck)
- It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards. (Lewis Carroll)
- It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.
- I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.
- Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish. (Michelangelo)
- Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
- A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. (John Barrymore)
- The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
- The mightiest works have been accomplished by men who have somehow kept their ability to dream great dreams. (Walter Russell Bowie)
- Motivation is when your dreams put on work clothes.
- No one can predict to what heights you can soar. Even you will not know until you spread your wings.
- Nothing happens unless first a dream. (Carl Sandburg)
- Nothing is more sad than the death of an illusion. (Arthur Koestler)
- Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. (Henry David Thoreau)
- The permanent temptation in life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat in life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality.
(fromThe Drifters by James A. Michener)
- The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were. (John F. Kennedy)
- Quantum Mechanics--The dreams stuff is made of.
- Reach for the Moon. If you fall short...You may land on a star.
- Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus. (Susan Longacre)
- Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul.
Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.
(Pamela Vaull Starr)
- A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
- The sky's the limit when your heart is in it.
- So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. (Christopher Reeve)
- Some men see things as they are and ask, "Why?" I dream things that never were and ask, "Why not?"
- Some people dream of worthy accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them.
- The stars exist that you might know how high your dreams can soar.
- There is a fine line between dreams and reality, it's up to you to draw it. (B. Quilliam)
- There is no need to reach high for the stars. They are already within you--just reach deep into yourself! (Tas Soft Wind)
- Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream by night. (Edgar Allan Poe)
- To accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe. (Anatole France)
- To be as much as we can be, we must dream of being more.
- To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
- Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity. (Kahlil Gibran)
- Try to believe that if you take the leap you'll be taught how to fly.
- Vision: the art of seeing things invisible. (Jonathan Swift)
- We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. (Oscar Wilde)
- We are such stuff as dreams are made on.
- We dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can play together all night. (Bill Watterson)
- When the deepest part of you becomes engaged in what you are doing, when what you are doing serves both yourself and others, when you do not tire within, but seek the sweetest satisfaction of your life and work, then you know that you are doing what you are meant to be doing. (Gary Zukov)
- When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. (Frank Outlaw)
- When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either. (Leo Burnett)
- When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true.
- When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme. (Jiminy Cricket)
- You are meant to be whatever you dream of becoming. (Edmund O'Neill)
- You are more likely to be successful at attempting to be better than yourself than to be better than someone else.
- You can do whatever you have to do, and sometimes you can do it even better than you think you can.
- You can have anything you want--but you can't have everything you want.
Only as high as I reach can I grow
Only as far as I seek can I go
Only as deep as I look can I see
Only as much as I dream can I be.
Hunters of Dreams
(Sam Walter Foss)
The woods were made for the hunters of dreams,
The brooks for the fishers of song;
To the hunters who hunt for the gunless game
The streams and the woods belong.
Hold Fast Your Dreams
Hold fast your dreams!
Within your heart
Keep one still, secret spot
Where dreams may go,
And, sheltered so,
May thrive and grow
Where doubt and fear are not.
O keep a place apart,
Within you heart,
For little dreams to go!
Think still of lovely things that are not true.
Let wish and magic work at will in you.
Be sometimes blind to sorrow. Make believe!
Forget the calm that lies
In disillusioned eyes.
Though we all know that we must die,
Yet you and I
May walk like gods and be
Even now at home in immortality.
We see so many ugly things--
Deceits and wrongs and quarrelings;
We know, alas! we know
How quickly fade
The color in the west,
The bloom upon the flower,
The bloom upon the breast
And youth's blind hour.
A place apart
Where little dreams may go,
May thrive and grow,
Hold fast--hold fast your dreams!
Hold Fast To Dreams
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
What is a dream?
A dream is a magical thing
A rainbow of joy in your heart
Your own secret corner
Where no one can go
Where the path
To fulfillment can start
A dream lures you on,
Always one step ahead
Until you have caught it,
And then there's always another
To capture your soul
And lead you onward again.
Always Have a Dream
Forget about the days
when it's been cloudy,
but don't forget your hours in the sun.
Forget about the times
you've been defeated,
but don't forget the victories you've won.
Forget about the mistakes
that you can't change now,
but don't forget the lessons.
Forget about the misfortunes
but don't forget the times
your luck has turned.
Forget about the days
when you've been lonely,
but don't forget the friendly
smiles you've seen . . .
Forget about the plans
that didn't seem to work out right,
but don't forget to always have a dream.
A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep.
In dreams, you will lose your heartache
Whatever you wish for, you keep.
Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smilin' through.
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you'll keep on believing
The dream that you wish for will come true.