See also Friendship Pages, Friendship Quotes, and Friendship Poems.
- Anyone can stand by you when you're right, but a true friend will stick by you, even when you are wrong.
- The best friend is the one who, in wishing me well, wishes it for my sake.
- Best friends are the siblings God forgot to give us.
- The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit beside without a word, and walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.
- A close friendship is every bit as sacred and eternal as marriage.
- Even though we're far apart, you're always in my heart.
- Even when I can't find the right words...you always understand what I mean.
- Ever since we first met, you've had a special place in my heart, and with each passing day, I value our friendship even more.
- Everyone hears what you say.
Friends listen to what you say.
Best friends listen to what you don't say.
- Everyone needs someone with whom to share their secrets.
- A friend can tell you things you don't want to tell yourself. (Frances Ward Weller)
- A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him, I may think aloud. I am at last in the presence of a man so real and equal, that I may drop those garments of dissimulation, courtesy, and second thought, which men never put off, and may deal with him with the simplicity and wholeness with which one chemical atom meets another. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- A friend is someone who dances with you in the sunlight and walks beside you in the shadows.
- A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. (Donna Roberts)
- A friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.
- A friend will help you up if someone knocks you down. A best friend says "Stay down, I got this."
- Friends bring out the beautiful things in each other that no one else looks hard enough to find.
- Friends can be said to "fall in like" with as profound a thud as romantic partners fall in love. (Letty Cottin Pogrebin)
- Friends fill your life with joy, your soul with sunshine and your heart with love.
- Friends forever, right from the start--
caring and sharing, from the heart.
- Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies. (Aristotle)
- Friendship is celebrating the good times, struggling through the bad times, and being there for all time.
- Friendship--the older it grows, the stronger it is.
- A good friend is an umbrella for the heart.
- A good friend sees the first tear, catches the second and stops the third.
- A good friend sharpens your character, draws your soul into the light, and challenges your heart to love in the greatest of ways.
- A good friend will come bail you out of jail. But a best friend will be sitting next to you saying...WE screwed up!
- Good friends do not always have to be together; It is the feeling of oneness when distant that proves a lasting friendship. (Susan P. Schultz)
- Heart to heart we'll always be,
Best of friends, you and me.
- Hold a true friend with both your hands. (Nigerian Proverb)
- An honest answer is the sign of true friendship. (Proverbs 24:26)
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. (From Annie)
- I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing. (Katherine Mansfield)
- I can't imagine in all the world a better friend than you.
- I don't doubt that you can do it alone, but why should you have to...I'm here for you, just as you've always been there for me.
- I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me doesn't consult his calendar. (Robert Brault)
- I wish I could keep all the good feelings you've ever given me safe inside a bottle. Every time I needed a smile, a joke, a hug, all I'd have to do is take the lid off that bottle and experience again all the caring you've shared with me. It would be my very own treasure of sweetness. It would be like holding our friendship in my hand. (Tracy Donovan)
- I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay.
- I've had many friends with whom I've shared my time, but very few with whom I've shared my heart.
- If friends are the flowers in the garden of life, you are an entire bouquet!
- If friendship were a color, you would be the rainbow to me.
- If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand.
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, my garden would be full
- If you should die before me, ask if you can bring a friend.
- If you have a great friend, take the time to let them know that they're great.
- If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live a day without you.
- In my friend, I find a second self. (Isabel Norton)
- It's best friends that light the way through the bad times.
- Love demands infinitely less than friendship. (George Jean Nathan)
- Lovers may reach for your hands, then eventually loosen their grip. Good friends reach for your heart, and never let go.
- Man's best support is a very dear friend. (Cicero)
- The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. (Elisabeth Foley)
- My best friend brings out the best in me. (Henry Ford)
- My very best friends are those who know without ever being told. (Authine Steinbeck)
- No matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.
- Of all life has to offer, of all that's great and true, that which means the most to me, is being friends with you.
- On a rainy day, you're my rainbow!
- One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention.
- One of the surest evidences of friendship that one individual can display to another is telling him gently of a fault. If any other can excel it, it is listening to such a disclosure with gratitude, and amending the error. (Edward Bulwer-Lytton)
- Priceless treasure of the heart...true friends will never part.
- A real friend knows when to listen, when to stop listening, when to talk, when to stop talking, when to pour wine, and when to stop pouring and just hand over the bottle.
- Real friendship is feeling completely natural with another, shedding all pretense and all sham, just being yourself.
- A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world. (Leo Buscaglia)
- So many of my smiles begin with you!
- Soul-mates are people who bring out the best in you. They are not perfect but are always perfect for you.
- There is no gift so precious as a true friend
- There is one friend in the life of each of us who seems not a separate person, however dear and beloved, but an expansion, an interpretation, of one's self, the very meaning of one's soul. (Edith Wharton)
- There's little else that God can send that means as much as you, my friend.
- A true friend can hear a tear drop.
- A true friend is someone who is there for you when they would rather be someplace else. (Len Wein)
- A true friend is the person in whose light we shine the brightest.
- A true friend never gets in your way unless you are going down.
- True friends remain in our hearts forever
- True friends stab you in the front. (Pam Brown)
- True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable. (Dave Tyson Gentry)
- True friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance.
- A true friendship is one in which everything can be told, and nothing will be judged.
- Truth and tears clear the way to a deep and lasting friendship.
- We are more than just acquaintances...it's as if we are cut from the same fabric. Even though we appear to be sewn in a different pattern, we have a common thread that won't be broken-by people or years or distance.
- When I count my blessings...I count you twice.
- When I'm with you...I can be me.
- When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
- With more understanding and better communication, we can meet in the middle and walk the rest of the way together.
- Yes, we must ever be friends; and of all who offer you friendship let me be ever the first, the truest, the nearest and dearest! (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)
- You are the calm at the center of my storm
- Your best friend is the one who brings out the best in you.
Friend versus Best Friend
A friend has never seen you cry.
Your best friend has shoulders soggy from your tears.
A friend doesn't know your parents' first names.
Your best friend has their phone numbers in her address book.
A friend brings a bottle of wine to your party.
Your best friend comes early to help you cook and stays late to help you clean.
A friend hates it when you call after he has gone to bed.
Your best friend asks you why you took so long to call.
A friend seeks to talk with you about your problems.
Your best friend seeks to help you with your problems.
A friend wonders about your romantic history.
Your best friend could blackmail you with it.
A friend, when visiting, acts like a guest.
Your best friend opens your refrigerator and helps himself.
A friend expects you to always be there for them.
Your best friend expects to always be there for you!
A friend thinks the friendship is over when you have an argument.
Your best friend knows that it's not a friendship until after you've had a fight.
A Forever Friend
Sometimes in life,
you find a special friend;
Someone who changes your life
just by being part of it.
Someone who makes you laugh
until you can't stop;
Someone who makes you believe
that there really is good in the world.
Someone who convinces you
that there really is an unlocked door
just waiting for you to open it.
This is Forever Friendship.
When you're down,
and the world seems dark and empty,
Your forever friend lifts you up in spirit
and makes that dark and empty world
suddenly seem bright and full.
Your forever friend gets you through
the hard times, the sad times,
and the confused times.
If you turn and walk away,
your forever friend follows.
If you lose your way,
your forever friend guides you
and cheers you on.
Your forever friend holds your hand
and tells you that
everything is going to be okay.
And if you find such a friend,
you feel happy and complete,
because you need not worry.
You have a forever friend for life,
and forever has no end.
(Dinah Maria Mulock Craik)
Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person.
Having neither to weigh thoughts
Nor measure words, but pouring them
All right out--just as they are
Chaff and grain together--
Certain that a faithful hand will
Take and sift them,
Keeping what is worth keeping,
And with a breath of kindness
Blow the rest away.
With you, it's all about voiceless communication-
always knowing exactly what to say,
but never actually having to say it.
When no one seems to be listening, you hear.
When I hurt but don't show it, you know.
When I turn away to hide my tears, you see.
When I feel like I can't get through to anyone, you understand.
Your eyes glow just for me,
and I know you're proud.
You flash your magical, healing smile my way,
and I know everything will be all right.
You know everything there is to know about me.
You know what worries me,
what keeps me up at night,
and what shames me so badly
that I can't share it with anyone.
Most importantly, though,
none of those things bother you.
You've restored my faith in people
and proved that there is a thing
called true friendship.
Letter to My Best Friend
I like you.
I like you a whole lot.
I like you because
When something matters to me,
It matters to you, too.
When you have a good idea,
You tell me first--
When I do, I tell you first.
That's why we make such a great team.
I like you because
When I say something funny, you laugh,
And when I'm not my usual self,
You notice right away
And ask me, "What's wrong?"
You're there for me and I'm there for you.
That's what friends are for.
I like you because . . . I just do.
When somebody asks me who my best friend is,
I say, "You." And you say, "Me."
And fifty years from now,
We'll say the same thing.
That's the way it is and will always be--
You can count on it!
Thinking of You
When you read these words,
chances are I'll be sitting here
thinking of you
as I so often do.
I'll probably be smiling
one of those smiles
that I always do
when thoughts of you come my way.
When you read these few words,
I hope you'll think,
just for a moment,
how much you mean to me,
and how much you always will.
And when you continue on with things
you need to be doing in your day,
smile a smile for me, and remember
that I'll be thinking of you still.
You are the most significant person
in my life right now. You are my dearest friend,
the one person I can be open and honest with,
the person who knows me better than I know myself,
with no pretense, and I am accepted by you;
I know who you are, and you know who I am, and we
are able to love one another completely.
We aren't always able to spend as much time together
as we'd like, but when we are together, it's as if we
had never been apart. Being with you makes me laugh,
and it gives me a safe place to cry. You are
sensitive and bright and altogether beautiful.
I love you for being the wonderful person that
you are and for the beauty you bring into my life
just by being there. I love you for listening to
all my troubles and for sharing yours with me.
I love you for your acceptance of me even when you
don't agree with my actions or decisions.
I love you for the fun we have together and the
openness that characterizes our relationship.
I love you most of all for being a wonderful person
and the best friend anyone could be.
A True Friend
You're a true friend,
that I want you to know,
Our love for each other
has helped us to grow.
We've had some rough times,
but we made it through,
The only one I ever
completely trusted was you.
You helped me through anger,
you've chased away fears.
You held me through sadness,
and kissed away tears.
You stayed by my side
when the world turned away.
You helped me see joy
when the skies were all gray.
You were the rainbow
at the end of the storm.
You help me be different
when I shouldn't conform.
You held my hand
when you knew we would fall.
you saw me through it all.
I'm not sure
I'm always the best friend to you,
I know I'm not perfect,
but this much is true.
When life gets you down,
And there's nowhere to turn,
I'll help you through and
I'll share your concern.
I'll try hard to return every favor,
When you're sure that you'll drown,
then I'll be your lifesaver;
Even if we both go down.
Whether we sink or swim
doesn't matter at all,
Just know that I'll be there
whenever you call.
I'll pull you out
when life pulls you under.
I'll be the sun
when there's lightning and thunder.
And when it's all over,
And we've fought every war,
There's one thing I promise,
Of this I am sure,
When the time comes
that we're put to our rest.
Be sure that you know that,
My friend, you're the best.
I've seen the light
and it's in you.
In everything you are
and in everything you do.
It's a perfect light
that shines for all to see.
It radiates from you
and has pierced the heart of me.
The light is from a friend.
It's a light that keeps me warm.
It lets me know how loved I am
and keeps me safe from harm.
To you my friend I am thankful
in each and every way.
For you lift my spirits up
with every passing day.
To know that you are there for me
it makes me feel alive.
Because it is your friendships light
upon which my love thrives.
Though 'thank you' isn't good enough
they are the only words I know.
It is your light of friendship
That give my world its glow.
I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.
I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good,
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
Christmas Wish for a Best Friend
I'd like to be the sort of friend that you have been to me.
I'd like to be the help that you've been always glad to be.
I'd like to mean as much to you each minute of the day,
as you have meant, old friend of mine, to me along the way.
I'd like to do the big things and the splendid things for you,
to brush the gray from out of your skies and leave them only blue.
I'd like to say the kindly things that I so often have heard,
and feel that I could rouse your soul the way that mine you've stirred.
I'd like to give you back the joy that you have given me,
so that sunshine on your horizon is all that you will see.
I'd like to make you feel as rich as I, who travel on,
undaunted in the darkest hours, with you to lean upon.
I'm wishing at this Christmas time that I could but repay
a portion of the gladness that you've strewn along my way.
And could I have one wish this year, this only would it be,
I'd like to be the sort of friend that you have been to me.
Special to Me
You're always oh so good to me,
You are all a friend should be,
And that's why you're especially
Special in my heart, you see!
I hope that there will always be
Me and you, you and me--
And that's why I'm especially
Letting you know you're special to me!
A Miracle to Me
As long as the ocean is wide
Across the miles of sea,
You will be someone special,
A true miracle to me.
As long as mountains are high,
As high as one can climb,
You will be so dear to me,
The best friend I can find.
As long as stars still twinkle
Throughout the heavens above,
You will be my bright reminder
Of what it means to love.
In a friendship
We're free to expose,
Parts of ourselves
Nobody else knows
But the thing that sustains it
And sets it apart
Is not something spoken
It's a bond of the heart
True friend's are rare
In a lifetime two or three,
I'm so glad it happened . . .
Between you and me!
Your Best Friend
I'm going to be the best friend you ever had.
I'm going to listen to you like no one has
Even if I might be too busy.
I'm going to be there when it counts
Not this time, but every time you need it.
I'm going to be your buddy, lifting you up
Whether I have the strength to or not.
I'm going to treat you like it's your birthday
Not that day, but every single day of the year.
I'll listen to you, I'll offer you advice
I'll play with you, sometimes letting you win
I'll be there for you, when you're filled up with strife
I'll pray for you, when you're struggling in life.
I'm going to be the best friend you've ever had.
This day, the next and forever . . . Why?
Because that's the kind of friend you are for me!
A Friend is...
A friend is someone with whom your
thoughts, dreams, and secrets you can share.
And no matter what you say or do,
you know that they still care.
A friend is always ready to laugh
with you when you are glad
But has a shoulder for you to cry on,
at those times when you are sad.
A friend always wants the very best for you
And they are not happy until you are too.
A friend is never jealous
of the things you may attain
And if you are the winner
you won't hear them complain
A friend is a person who you could
spend everyday with,
from beginning to end
When you find someone like this
they are more than a friend
they are a Best Friend
The Friendship Flower
I'd like to tell a story
Of a flower that I found.
It can't be seen with human eyes
and it grows not in the ground.
Its stem is strength and kindness,
And honesty its leaves.
Its brightly colored petals
are the faith in its beliefs.
Its scent hints of forgiveness,
and peacefulness and love.
Its beauty brings more happiness
Than my heart could once dream of.
At first I fed this flower
half-truths, deceit and lies,
And any other flower
would certainly have died.
But this flower's roots run deeply
so they can't be torn apart.
And I'll be forever thankful
You're the flower in my heart.
Bonds of Friendship
When days are filled with sunshine
How close we hold a friend;
it's good to share the laughter,
the dreams that have no end.
And it is fun exchanging
some episode of fun
and finding much in common,
in all that you have done.
But when the days are shadowed,
Perhaps with pain or grief,
The Bonds of Friendship tighten,
almost beyond belief.
And burdens aren't so heavy,
when someone takes your hand:
And not a word is needed,
to prove she understands.
The world would be so lonely,
in sunny hours or grey,
Without the gift of friendship,
to help us, every day.
Sand or Stone
Two friends were walking through the desert. At some point they had an argument, and one friend slapped the other in the face. The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything, wrote in the sand:
"TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE."
They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to go for a swim. The one who had been slapped started to drown, but his friend saved him. After he recovered from the near drowning, he wrote on a stone:
"TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE."
The one who had first slapped and later saved his friend said, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone, why?"
His friend replied: "When a friend hurts us we should write it down in sand where the winds of forgiveness can erase it away. But, when a friend does something good for us, we should engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."
In kindergarten your idea of a good friend was the person who let you have the red crayon when all that was left was the ugly black one.
In first grade your idea of a good friend was the person who went to the bathroom with you and held your hand as you walked through the scary halls.
In second grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you stand up to the class bully.
In third grade your idea of a good friend was the person who shared their lunch with you when you forgot yours on the bus.
In fourth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who was willing to switch square dancing partners in gym so you wouldn't have to be stuck do-si-do-ing with Icky Nick.
In fifth grade your idea of a friend was the person who saved a seat at the back of the bus for you.
In sixth grade your idea of a friend was the person who went up to Nick, your new crush, and asked them to dance with you, so that if they said no you wouldn't have to be embarrassed.
In seventh grade your idea of a friend was the person who let you copy the social studies homework from the night before.
In eighth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you pack up your stuffed animals, but didn't laugh at you when you finished and broke into tears.
In ninth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who would go to a party thrown by a senior so you wouldn't wind up being the only freshman there.
In tenth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who changed their schedule so you would have someone to sit with at lunch.
In eleventh grade your idea of a good friend was the person who gave you rides in their new car, convinced your parents that you shouldn't be grounded, consoled you when you broke up with Nick, and found you a date to the prom.
In twelfth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you pick out a college/university and helped you deal with your parents, who were having a hard time adjusting to the idea of letting you go.
At graduation your idea of a good friend was the person who was crying on the inside, but managed the biggest smile one could give as they congratulated you.
The summer after twelfth grade your idea of a good friend was the person who helped you pack up for university, and silently hugged you as you looked through blurry eyes at eighteen years of memories you were leaving behind, and on those last days of childhood, sent you off to college knowing you were loved.
Now your idea of a good friend is still the person:
who gives you the better of the two choices,
holds your hand when you're scared,
helps you fight off those who try to take advantage of you,
thinks of you at times when you are not there,
reminds you of what you have forgotten,
helps you put the past behind you,
but understands when you need to hold on to it a little longer,
stays with you so that you have confidence,
goes out of their way to make time for you,
helps you clear up your mistakes,
helps you deal with pressure from others,
smiles for you when they are sad,
helps you become a better person, and,
most importantly, loves you!
All I Need to Know About Life I Learned From My Girl Friends
- Good times are even better when they're shared.
- A good long talk can cure almost anything.
- Everyone needs someone with whom to share their secrets.
- Listening is just as important as talking.
- An understanding friend is better than a therapist; and cheaper too!
- Laughter makes the world a happier place.
- Friends are like wine; they get better with age.
- Sometimes you just need a shoulder to cry on.
- Great minds think alike, especially when they are female!
- When it comes to "bonding", females do it better.
- You are never too old for slumber parties!
- Girls just want to have fun.
- It's important to make time to do 'girl things'.
- Calories don't count when you are having lunch with your girl friends.
- You can never have too many shoes.
- GEMS MAY BE PRECIOUS, BUT FRIENDSHIP IS PRICELESS!
Songs about Best Friends
- Back Door Friend - Lightnin' Hopkins (1965)
- Best Buddies - Dennis Alexander (2008)
- Best Buddy - Janet Marlow (2005)
- Best Friends Make the Worst Enemies - David Houston (1979)
- Best of Friends - Livingston Taylor (2006)
- Best of Friends, The - Peter, Paul and Mary (1978)
- Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel (1970)
- Calm at the Center of My Storm, The - Paul Overstreet (1991)
- Cowboys are a Girls Best Friend - Liz Anderson (1999)
- Cowboy's Best Friend, A - Murray Ross (2004)
- Dedicated Friend - Mike Nesmith (1970)
- Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend - Jo Stafford (1953)
- Everlasting Friend - Blue October (2006)
- Face of a Dear Friend - Clay Hart (1970)
- For My Fantastic Friend - Dave Guard (1988)
- Friends Forever - Stefan Grossman (1975)
- I Found My Best Friend in the Dog Pound - Burl Ives (1963)
- Man's Best Friend is His Automobile, A - Barry and Holly (2002)
- Man's Best Friend is His Horse, A - Vaughn Monroe (1952)
- My Best Friend - Tim McGraw (2000)
- My Best Friend and Me - Clay Davidson (2000)
- My Ex-Best Friend - Frankie Avalon (1963)
- My One True Friend - Bette Midler (1998)
- Old Pals Are the Best Pals - Beginner's Luck (2008)
- She's My Best Friend - Lou Reed (1976)
- Some of My Best Friends - Brook Benton (1956)
- Some of My Best Friends Are Old Songs - Louise Mandrell (1982)
- Some of My Best Friends Are People - Cashman, Pistilli and West (1968)
- You're My Best Friend - Don Williams (1975)
- You're My Bestest Friend - Mac Davis (1982)
- You're the Best Friend That I Know - New Grass Revival (1984)